Eyestripe Surgeonfish (Acanthurus dussumieri)
From The Aquarium Wiki
1363 Litres (360 US G.)
45-54 cm (17.7-21.3")
8.1 - 8.5
23 -28 °C (73.4-82.4°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Eyestripe Surgeonfish, Dussumieri Tang, Pencilled Surgeonfish, Ornate Surgeonfish
Additional scientific names
- Hepatus dussumieri, Rhombotides dussumieri, Teuthis dussumieri
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Difficult to visually sex.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- This large Tang is generally peaceful but can be territorial towards other Tangs of the same shape. To keep more than one you need a very spacious tank to allow for territories.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will mainly graze on algae and spirulina, and may also take lettuce, dried seaweed and zucchini. When buying these fish be aware that stock can easily starve, do not buy fish with sunken bellies.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed two to three times a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Requires a large spacious mature marine tank with plenty of hiding places in live rock.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A generally peaceful Tang which can be territorial towards its own species and similar-looking fish. This fish's colours intensify in response to threats or to display moods.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Can be mistaken for Acanthurus blochii. This Tang has distinctive orange stripes across its eyes, an orange/tan body, and wavy blue lines covering from head to tail.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )