Tiger Tetra (Hoplias malabaricus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
284 Litres (75 US G.)
40-48 cm (15.7-18.9")
6.0 - 8.0
20 -26 °C (68-78.8°F)
Additional scientific names
- Esox malabaricus, Macrodon malabaricus, Erythrinus macrodon
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Found in Central and South America, from Costa Rica to Argentina in most river basins.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males are slimmer than females and have a less curved ventral outline.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- This fish is best in a large tank either alone or in a very large tank with similar sized or larger very robust fish. The Wolf Fish can be highly aggressive with a bite to match.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- A carnivorous fish that needs a high-protein diet including shrimp, bait fish and mussels.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- This fish must have a spacious fish with hiding places provided. Filtration must be excellent due to it's diet and it's adaptable to most water parameters provided they are kept stable.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A highly aggressive and predatory fish. Not overly active, it will often spend a lot of time on the substrate waiting for dinner.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A well built elongate fish with a rounded caudal fin and able to balance on it's ventral and anal fins on the substrate. It has a wide head with visible teeth, it's mottled grey in colour and has a wide black lateral line from its eye to its caudal peduncle.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )