Saddled Bichir (Polypterus endlicheri)
From The Aquarium Wiki
908 Litres (240 US G.)
61-71.1cm (24-28 ")
6.5 - 7.5
23 -28 °C (73.4-82.4°F)
- Saddled Bichir, Endlicheri Bichir
Additional scientific names
- Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- As with all Bichirs, the anal fin is large cup-like/hand-like in males. Females have a thin anal fin
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A bottom dwelling species that is not particularly aggressive but will prey on smaller tank mates.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Do not keep on a staple diet of dry foods - include plenty of meaty foods such as fish and other meats (beef heart, chicken livers), as well as invertebrates.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- A good feeding every two or three days.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Provide cover in the form of plants and rocks.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A predator; not anti-social but does not like being cramped.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- May be confused with the Armoured Bichir, Polypterus delhezi, but usually has more irregular markings. Overall grey with dark markings banding over the back and along the sides; has a flat head.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )