Yellow Banded Moenkhausia (Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Yellow Banded Moenkhausia
57 Litres (15 US G.)
5.1-7.6cm (2-3 ")
5.5 - 8.5
22.8-27.8°C (73 -82 °F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Yellow Banded Moenkhausia, Yellow Back Moenkhausia, Yellowhead Tetra, Red Eye Tetra, Redeye Tetra, Red-Eyed Moe
Additional scientific names
- Moenkhausia agassizi, Moenkhausia australis, Moenkhausia filomenae, Tetragonopterus sanctaefilomenae
- Females are larger and have a more rounded abdomen than the males.
- When attempting to breed them, a separate breeding tank should be set up with slightly acidic, very soft water (4 dGH or below). If floating plants are provided, as the breeding pair will often lay eggs among the plants.
- Once spawning has occurred, the mating pair should be removed, as they will consume the eggs and hatching fry. One to two days after they are laid, the eggs will hatch. The fry can initially be fed commercially prepared fry foods, then freshly hatched brine shrimp, and eventually finely crushed flake foods.
- Community fish, but quite a boisterous active swimmer, so it is preferable not to mix with timid species. Fin nipper (may nip fins of long finned fish). Keep this fish in groups of 5 or more.
- Like most Tetras, Red Eyes will accept virtually any foods. A varied diet of flake foods coupled with occasional feeding of live or frozen foods, will keep them in top condition.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- An active fish that does best in a planted tank with places to dart in and out of hiding.
- A generally peaceful shoaling fish. Can be a fin nipper though. Sometimes they are known to nip the fins of fish in their own shoal
- This fish has a yellow band on the base of the caudal fin, just in front of the of the black area, thus the most usual common name "Yellow-banded Moenkhausia". Another common name, "Red-eye Tetra", describes the bright red spot on the upper part of its' eye, which makes a bright and rather pronounced contrast to its' silvery body.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )