Sohal Tang (Acanthurus sohal)
From The Aquarium Wiki
1136 Litres (300 US G.)
30-40 cm (11.8-15.7")
8.1 - 8.4
22.2-25.6°C (72 -78 °F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Sohal Tang, Red Sea Surgeonfish, Red Sea Clown Surgeon, Majestic Tang, Majestic Surgeon, Arabian Tang
Additional scientific names
- Chaetodon sohal, Acanthurus carinatus, Ctenodon ruppelii
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Red sea, and eastern Indian Ocean
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- These fish are difficult to sex visually.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- This fish is very active and territorial towards its own species and similar looking fish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Herbivorous, but also accepts mysis shrimp like the other tangs.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- These fish originate from steep slopes and drop offs at the edge of a reef system. They prefer a tank with a good current and aeration and lots of rocky décor. It is a very active fish so requires a lot of lateral swimming space.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A very active territorial fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- This is a large oval-shaped fish with black and white horizontal stripes with metallic blue edging on the dorsal, anal and caudal fin. The face is predominantly grey with a pale yellow belly and pelvic fins. The caudal peduncle fin spine is orange.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )